Yes, you can delete a Google Gmail account and all the messages in it. And yes, you can do that and still keep your Google, YouTube, etc. accounts!
Maybe you have one Gmail account too many, or tried it out and prefer the service you were using before, or maybe you’re ready to ditch email altogether! Good luck with that one if so.
The process isn’t hard. You’ll just be asked to click numerous times, of course, and for your password, too. Still, closing your Gmail account and deleting the mail in it is a pretty straightforward a task.
How to Delete Your Gmail Account
Here’s what to do to cancel a Gmail account and delete the associated Gmail address:
- Go to Google Account Settings.
2. Select Data & Personalization.
3. In the page that appears, scroll down to Download, delete, or make a plan for your data.
4. Click Delete a service or your account.
You can also choose Delete Google Account and Data to remove your entire Google account (including your search history, Google Docs, AdWords and AdSense as well as other Google services).
5. Then choose Delete a service on the next page as well.
6. You’ll be prompted to sign into your account.
7. On the next page you can choose the service you would like to delete. If you want to delete a Gmail account, click the trashcan icon (🗑) next to Gmail.
Follow the Download Data link for a chance to download a full copy of your Gmail messages via Google takeout.You can also copy your email to another Gmail account, possibly a new Gmail address.
8. Enter an email address different from the address associated with the Gmail account you are closing underEnter an email address in the How you’ll sign in to Google dialog box.Gmail may already have entered the secondary address you used when creating the Gmail account. The alternative email address you enter here becomes your new Google account username.Make sure you enter an email address to which you have access. You need the email address to complete deleting your Gmail account.
9. Click Send Verification Email.
10. Open the email from Google (email@example.com) with the subject “Security alert for your linked Google account” or “Gmail Deletion Confirmation”.
11. Follow the deletion link in the message.
12. If prompted, log in to the Gmail account you are deleting.
13. Under Confirm Gmail Deletion Select Yes, I want to delete firstname.lastname@example.org permanently from my Google Account.
14. Click Delete Gmail. You cannot undo this step. After you click this, your Gmail account and messages are gone.
15. Click Done.